As I write this, the "polar vortex" is about to revisit Northwest Indiana with more bitterly cold air along with some snow. What a perfect time to talk about beach weddings at the Indiana Dunes Lakeshore!!
Sarcasm aside, you actually may be thinking about this as you do wedding planning for 2014 and 2015. I think most people have beach weddings or at least go there for their wedding photos because they love the calming atmosphere it provides along with the beautiful blue skies, water and fresh air. I also think beach weddings appeal to couples who want to keep it simple and natural.
Today I found out, that as a professional photographer, I will need to purchase permits for photographing at the Indiana Dunes Lakeshore. I shoot many sessions out there so I will be doing this in the next few weeks. If you are planning to have your ceremony at one of the lakeshore locations such as West Beach, Portage River Walk, Chellberg Farm and others, here are some guidelines you will need to know.
- A permit is needed and can be obtained by calling 219-395-1644. The cost is $65.00.
- Wedding permits are available all year around and are good for 2 hours.
- Electricity is only available at one location - Portage River Walk.
- The following is a link to download the - Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore Permit Application
- Metal or wooden folding chairs are not allowed.
Here is a link to download the Frequently Asked Questions about Beach Weddings at the Indiana Dunes.
I hope this is helpful to you if you are considering a wedding on the beach at Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore. You can contact me here if you have any other questions about the photography.