Wedding photography season for 2011 kicks off for me in two weeks as I head to Chicago to photograph a Chicago Sessions Engagement Package. The weather is finally starting to break a little here in Northwest Indiana and calls are coming in to schedule the local / Chicago engagement shoots as well as outdoor family portraits, kids and high school seniors too.
The first actual wedding of the year will be April 30th with Angela and Mike's Valparaiso wedding with a reception at The Raddison at Star Plaza Theater in Merrillville.
As a wedding photographer there is MUCH to do in these weeks leading up to the photo shoots. Here is some of what has been on my agenda in recent weeks:
- Meetings with clients and potential clients. Emails and calls have been coming in daily as it is booking season. I do presentations here at the home studio and also a mobile presentation. I bring sample wedding albums, prints, gallery wraps and more. Most importantly, I answer all your wedding photography questions. For already booked clients, we get out photographic timeline together along with locations, etc.
- New photography gear. It's NOT about the gear you have. However, one of my camera bodies was getting long in the tooth. So I bit the bullet and purchased a new professional body to add to my collection. I'm always traveling with two to every wedding for shooting convenience and for back up as well.
- Classes and workshops. To avoid getting stale, a good photographer is always going to be adding knowledge. I've got a few tricks up my sleeve for 2011 weddings courtesy of some top of the line pros who unselfishly share their craft.
- Equipment maintenance: I love the look of magazine-esque commercial photography and I like to do this with my wedding clients. This requires external lighting and other accessories to make this look happen. I'm testing, cleaning and (unfortunately) even sending some things in for repairs.
- New computer. Digital wedding photography requires knowledge of the digital darkroom and a computer that can handle the tasks at hand. With so many weddings booked for 2011 and many back to back, it was time to upgrade my already fast system with and an even faster one with greater storage. All the better to get images back to my clients in a timely manner.